History

Museum of Relais La Suvera

An unusual journey back through time and history

On the first floor of the Papal Villa is the Museum which hosts a valuable collection of portraits, statues and furnishings coming from the noble families of Ricci and Massimo. The museum together with the La Suvera gardens are recognised as part of the circuit of Sienna museums due to the indisoutable fact that it brings together important furniture and pictures from various periods as well as archiving important historical documents and testimonials. It is made up of and divided into rooms, the Pope’s Room, The Brancaccio Room, the Library and the Ricci Paracciani Archive. In the latter are preserved all precious books, documents and papers from 1300 to 1800 relating to both history and art history which on request can be studied both by researchers and the passionate. The rooms which are all open to guests at Relais La Suvera, have unique pieces displayed there, such as the neo classical statue of the Marchesa Campana by Pietro Tenerani, the famous pupil of Canova, whose works are exhibited at the Hermitage and in the Vatican Museums, or the great drawing which was a late 19th century preparation for the Francesco Gay portrait of Elisabeth Field with their children Eleonora, Carlo and Marcantonio. Elizabeth was wife to Prince Brancaccio, who gives his name to the Room it is shown in.

This is an area dedicated to culture, art and history that is not simply to be admired but to be lived in and used. La Suvera’s staff are delighted to show interested guests around and illustrate the story of the works shown in the museum. They may pause among the furnishings and period works of art, just as if they were in their own home, in an elegantly welcoming atmosphere, play the piano or read a book in the frescoed loggia overlooking the gardens and the delightfully bucolic valley below. It is an unusual journey through time and space, from Italy across Europe and even farther afield, through history and the family ties of the ancient families of the owners. Museum Tuscany Siena